Friday, March 31, 2017

March 2017

In the Houston area, everyone knows that March is Rodeo time. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR) is a major draw each year. Our friend Jeff Carico has been involved on the Safety Committee of the rodeo for many years. He's been advocating for me to join the committee since I started nursing school. Last year I was still too new at the working mother gig that I just didn't think I could manage it. But this year I was feeling a bit braver. I had a great time! I worked a total of four shifts at the safety shacks on property during the three weeks and was able to attend the rodeo eight other times, taking a different child with me each time. As a volunteer you get free entrance to the rodeo for yourself and one other guest. So now follows a whole bunch of pictures over the 2.5 weeks of taking kids and spouse to the rodeo. Jaron and Jason had to share the same night because I was out of time with my work schedule and the kids' spring break. Jeff helped us out by getting Jaron in as his guest that night. It was a great experience getting to know members of the EMS and RN world that volunteer on the committee. It was exhausting either working at the rodeo, working at the hospital or being downtown to attend the rodeo. I can tell you I know the road between our house and NRG Stadium REALLY well.
XC ended in February and March was the start of track season. Darik chose the shotput and the 1600M as his events to participate in. He had fun, grew as an athlete, and managed to place 8th at shot put in the district meet.
Spring Break was the 13th-17th. Between Youth Conference for Jaron and Anna and my work schedule and volunteer schedule we only had one day to go play a little. We went somewhere new in Houston called the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center in Memorial Park downtown. The nature center has some wonderful displays and we enjoyed looking at them. Then we went outside to walk around the nature trails. It was a gorgeous day and we had so much fun exploring nature, being silly and singing songs.
One day we were running errands and we stopped at the new Container Store to look for something and the kids were being a little squirly. I took these pictures of them having fun.
More photographic proof that our son still lives and thrives in Colorado.
And I am including a picture of a missionary that was serving in Friendswood that we really came to know and love. Elder Sibaja managed to stay in the Baybrook ward for 6 months and we are so glad we got to have him in our home so often. He is a very humble, loving missionary and we were sad to see him go in March. Sibaja is the one on the left and he is from California. He told us one time that when he submitted his mission papers he didn't really have a preference where he went but the only place he hoped never to serve was Texas!! It's always so fun to meet others in this life that God has a grand sense of humor with. I told God I would go anywhere in Texas but Houston - look at how well that worked out for me! But I am so glad He didn't listen to me because I love living and working here.

No comments: