Tuesday, September 21, 2010

MY Back-to-school experience.

So the first day of school was almost two weeks ago. We hit the ground running and we're keeping up our busy pace with about as much grace and style as one can expect from a family such as ours.

I wanted to share with you, my dear reader, what my back to school picture looked like. No, I did not have Jason take a picture of me that morning, that would have been way too scary. But I did take a picture of what greeted me that afternoon the children returned. I only took a picture of the left-over papers.



Let me make this statement abundantly clear, "I HATE paper!" It can so quickly take over my life. When you have 6 children in four different schools in the same district you end up with a LOT of paper on the first day of school. Now, in a nod to my eco-friendly side, I took the time to find out what truly had to be signed and returned and what did not. Of the stuff that did not have to be returned I separated all the papers out into piles of like fliers. Then I took the extra step of stopping by Ponderosa Elementary and giving them back all the multiple copies of things I didn't need. They were happy to have them and I was happy to be rid of them, and they didn't end up in the garbage!

Caleb's preschool is a big proponent of artwork. Translation = more PAPER! So here is a snapshot of some of his creations in the last week or so and they've been filed away - in the recycling.


So, here's a quick look at each child's schedule.

Caleb - school 12:45-3:15; Mon-Thurs; I drive both ways.

Darik - school 9:10-3:10; Mon-Fri; bus to school, I pick up on Mon-Thur, bus home on Fri

Jaron - same as Darik; Tues mornings 8:30 drive him to school for Pine-Tones; scouts on Tuesday nights 7-8

Anna - same as Jaron; Tues and Fri mornings 7:30 drive to the Middle school for violin, catches the bus back to Ponderosa in time for Pine-Tones on Tuesdays and school on Fridays; Activity Days 2 Wednesdays a month 4:30-5:30

Nathan - school 8:10-2:40; Mon-Fri; Cross county practice 3:00-5:00 no bus home, we pick up, meets start this week; jazz band 7:15 Mon, Wed, Fri we drive him there; youth group Wednesday nights 7-8:30

Rachel - early morning seminary starts at 6:15, her ride (THANK YOU, Beauchamps!) arrives at 6; school 7:40-2:15, rides the bus home; marching band practice 6-9 Tues and Thur; youth group Wednesday nights 7-8:30; marching band performances/competitions/fund-raisers/practices vary on days and length over each weekend until the end of October when marching band ends.

They are all liking their teachers and classes. Rachel has the great (mis)fortune of having both geometry and Algebra 2 this year. It was best for her four year plan for graduating but it will make this year a little more challenging. So far, though, she's doing well in all her classes.

It was a tough summer and I didn't do my normal keep up with school work all summer long like I usually do. It was a bit of a shock to each of them this fall compared to previous falls but we're finding our groove.

Jason had two interviews last week and they both went well. We're hoping by the end of October he'll have a job with someone, somewhere. Still no word from Toler, in Austin, pretty sure it's not happening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you! You are an incredible lady! Happy 1st day of school to you.
Your post came at the perfect time today. Thank you.