Sunday, November 10, 2013

Strength through adversity

I have some thoughts that I just feel like "putting out there" that are too lengthy to post to Facebook. So I'm putting them here. I recognize that what I will say will not be agreed with by everyone who reads it but that's okay.

I'm so grateful for the opportunity my kids have to go to public school. At different times in my parenting career I have seriously taken the time to examine our options for schooling. I see so many benefits to home schooling, private schooling and public schooling. I truly believe each option has both pros and cons. I have no interest in dissecting those today but here is one reason that I am glad that my kids attend public school: the kids they associate with are so different from my children!

Rachel and I were talking about her day yesterday. She had a rough English class because of a discussion about Dante's Inferno. Because of being raised with the teachings and values of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Rachel's opinion about the purpose of our lives, and what we are accountable for, is very different from the majority of her classmates. So many people disagreed with her, loudly and rudely. She was frustrated by the way they treated her. She felt sure that if she expressed her thoughts that someone else would speak up in support of shared beliefs, no one did. It was lonely for her.

But as her mother I am so glad that she can attend school with people that challenge her beliefs, where not everyone sees things the same way, and where they disagree with her often. These forces drive her to seek out answers in ways that always being comfortable would not. Being in an environment where religion can be discussed but where no single religion is promoted is an interesting place to be. The teacher has no obligation to uphold any certain belief or standard so conversation is unlimited in discussion of personal beliefs, thoughts and opinions.

This adversity and diversity helps her to clarify her thoughts and her beliefs. She is different and different is good! After the class was over one girl did come up and confide in Rachel that she agreed with Rachel's opinions and was glad that she had stood up for them. The girl just didn't have the strength to do it herself, or even to join Rachel.

This conversation I'm quoting is not the first of its kind, nor will it be the last, nor is it limited to Rachel. Similar ones with other children have been held over the years. And I want to make it clear that public school has quite a few drawbacks of which I am keenly aware. But it is still the best choice for MY family. It may not be the best for others, and how grateful I am to live in a country where we can each exercise that choice.

When these types of experiences come about I think of the verses from Matthew, chapter 5. "Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

This world is a trying and troubling place to be for those who follow Jesus Christ. His name is mocked, His commandments are scorned, and His light is rejected. But my kids are out there, every day, spreading His light through their good works, their kindness, and their faith as they follow His teachings and are steadfast and immovable. These daily "exercises" help keep them strong.

I know these trials are hard for them. I'm at school daily also, I know what it's like. But I have also learned through experience that we know the most about ourselves and our testimonies when we're tried. In the comfort of class lecture or reading the text I believe I understand and know the material. It's not until the trial and discomfort of the test do I really know what I've learned(or haven't, as is sometimes the case). I'm so grateful for the environment of challenge that my kids get to learn in. It is helping to daily shape their love for the Savior, His atonement, and their brothers and sisters that they associate with every day as they go about their lives.

They learn to forgive rudeness, they learn to love those who think, act and speak differently from themselves and they are tested daily on how well their Christ-like love is developing. I know it isn't a perfect system and believe me when I say there are days that I truly feel like chucking it all and keeping them home. But I feel it's important to take the time to recognize the good in this world. And I'm glad to have kids that are part of that goodness out there and who boldly choose the right and let the consequence follow.



1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

Such strength and respect. Wonderful!