Sunday, September 6, 2015

August 2015

August 1st started with family photos, see previous post, and then we headed to the beach. On our way home we decided to go do dinner at Red Robin so we showered and headed over to Pearland to enjoy a family favorite.
Beach photos:

Picture of the stranger next to us who caught a baby shark.

Creations:

His first car.


Sunday (2nd) was a regular church day and we sat all together on the same row for the last time in a while. Monday (3rd) Jason had to work and so Rachel and I spent the time getting the last of her packing and shopping completed. We went through checklists and double checked things to make sure everything she would need would be in order. We had dinner at Rudy's to celebrate my birthday and then Rachel went to the YSA (Young Single Adult) branch FHE (Family Home Evening) to say goodbye to all of her friends. We forgot to do cake and ice cream.

Jason and I worked on Tuesday and that evening after we got home and had dinner we had the Carico's and the Boehner's over for Rachel to be set apart as a missionary. It was a wonderful, spiritual experience as President Scott (our Stake President) led the group in encouraging each member present to give Rachel advice preparatory to leaving for the next 18 months. There was hardly a dry eye as we listened to encouragement and perspective given by children and adults on what will make life more meaningful for Rae. After we were done we quickly sang Happy Birthday to me and had cake and ice cream. We didn't settle down until about 10. But in all the chaos there was no picture taken of me and my cake. You'll just have to take my word for it that I truly did have a 41st birthday.

And then THE day arrived, August 5th was finally here. Anna was the first to say her goodbye as she had band camp from 7-11 and 1-5 so she couldn't go with us to the airport. Because of that we had all the other kids say goodbye at home also and Jason and I were the only ones to take her to the airport.
Luggage by the door, ready to go.

Waiting in line at the ticket counter at AeroMexico.

Hugs and pictures before heading through security.

Watching her pass through security.

She's on her way!

We got lots of sweet texts and calls to support us on this big step we've experienced. But here's a picture of a tangible kindness expressed to let us know that we are loved and cared for as we say goodbye to our firstborn.


From July 17th-August 7th I "worked" by attending orientation classes. My first real shift on the floor, with a preceptor, was August 10th. Since then I've done mostly shift work with a few additional classes thrown in. I've been working day shift, 7AM-7PM, through the whole month. After Labor Day I will move to nights for the month of September.

On August 22nd the band held their regular Preview Night for the families. It was inside this year. I was unable to attend due to work but Jason took a few short videos that he posted on FB and a few pictures. Anna is in the pit percussion so she is down front on the vibraphone.


School started August 24th and I made sure to take "back to school" pictures for posterity.
Our handsome senior, Nathan.

Our beautiful sophomore, Anna.

Our experienced middle schooler (8th grade), Jaron.

Our new middle schooler (6th grade), Darik.

Our fabulous fourth grader, Caleb.

Our smiley, sassy, second grader, Sarah.

No comments: