Friday, February 5, 2016

December 2015

December flew by with band concerts, one for Darik, one for Jaron, and one for Anna, a band performance in a Christmas parade (Anna), work Christmas party for Jason, and work for Nathan, me and Jae. Shopping and Christmas preparation took some critical time and then the month was over. We'll hit the highlights.

Anna's concert was the 3rd, as was Jason's office party. So Jae and I went to that and then headed over to Anna's in time to see her walk off stage! (Talk about a parent fail!) But we weren't sure we would be done in time anyway and had planned on making it to her parade on the 5th. Because of miscommunication with a new band director (there now are three this year) some of the students didn't get assigned parts for the Christmas music and so several had to share parts with others. Anna was affected by this mistake and had two small parts in just two songs so she wasn't too disappointed in our lack of attendance.

Then the parade on Saturday, which we saw but had such bad spots compared to where Anna was, and it was dark, there was no way to get pictures. But we all came out to see her and they sounded great! Earlier that day we had 1 hour where all the kids were home together so we set up lights outside. Nathan came home from work, we were working on the lights, and then Anna left for band, and we were working on the lights. But we all got to be together for a small part of it.

Anna went up our pine tree to wrap lights around it. She did a good job and didn't fall, thank goodness!

Sarah wanted to "hang lights, too" but really what she wanted was to climb a tree like Anna, so we let her climb one of our other ones.


While watching Anna I noticed a Monarch butterfly land on one of our other oak trees, try to spot it.


The following week was a respite from extra activities. On Tuesday the 8th we decorated our Christmas tree. We had set the tree up and wrapped it with lights on the 5th but there wasn't enough time to decorate it. So we did that on the 8th when I didn't work.


Monday the 14th Sarah had her gymnastics "Santa Show" where they show off all their skills to date. I was working but Jason attended and she did very well.






Tuesday the 15th, Darik had his concert at League City Intermediate School. Darik and Jaron do not go to the same school and so I was grateful their concerts were not on the same day. Darik is loving the trombone and he did a great job playing Christmas tunes for us.




Wednesday I worked and Thursday was Jaron's concert.



Thursday was also class party day for Caleb and Sarah. I "attended" both of their parties. Since they were being held at the same time I would spend 5 minutes in one room and then bounce to the next. Then I would go back. That's how I spent 45 minutes that afternoon. I also made cake balls that morning to take with us to Jaron's concert as a fundraiser. At Caleb's class they had a "photo station" so we took some pictures there. Should have done the same for me and Sarah but since her class didn't have that activity I didn't think to do it. Instead we decorated cookies together.

Caleb's friend Amr.


December 18th Jason and I went to a TransSiberian Orchestra concert. I had to work that day but Jeff and Deb Carico invited us to join them for this concert at 8pm. As luck would have it, it was a slow afternoon at work and two of my kids got discharged in the afternoon. I was able to give report to my podmate and check out 30 minutes early, which was great!! Jason and Deb picked up Jeff at his work (he got off at 6) and they came up to get me. So we were able to take only one car to the Toyota Center. After the concert they drove us back to the park and ride where my car was and we returned home.

The concert was a blast!! The next time I go I will bring ear plugs because I know that it would still sound as good but just a little muted wouldn't be a bad thing. The lights were amazing! Though I think they kind of bothered Jason a bit. Sunglasses for him next time! =)

Thanks for inviting us, Caricos! We had a fabulous time!

December 19th the fire department made its yearly rounds with Santa Claus spreading joy (candy) to everyone in the neighborhood.


December 23rd was 84 degrees out and Sarah wanted to go swimming, so she did and others joined her.


Christmas is a separate post so I'll finish up with the New Year's Eve dance that Nathan and Anna went to. The theme was the 20's or nice dress and they had a great time, as usual.

Nate and some of his friends

Anna and her friend, Tori.
2015 has been a great year for us and we look forward to all that 2016 will bring.

No comments: