Tuesday the 20th Jason got an invite to go play basketball on Wednesday night. I told him I didn't like the idea but he really wanted to go...so he went. The game started at 9. I went to bed. He got home at 9:25, hopping on one foot. After icing it and assessing his pain level we were off to the hospital to make sure it wasn't broken. Rachel was still awake so we had her come upstairs to sleep near Sarah. Two hours later we were home with good pain meds and an all-clear about it being broken. Sure looked ugly and was very painful.
The next morning this conversation took place.
Jaron: "Daddy, how was your basketball game? Did you have fun?"
Jason, grimacing in pain: "Well, not really, I got hurt."
Jaron, noticing for the first time that his dad is hobbling around: "So you didn't get to play at all?"
Jason: "I got to play about 10 minutes before rolling my ankle, big guy."
Lanae: "And now daddy doesn't get to play anymore."
Jaron: "Until his foot is better."
Lanae: "No, he doesn't get to play anymore."
Jaron, looking at his dad in disbelief: "Ever?"
Jason, looking at me sheepishly: "Doesn't look that way."
He's had knee surgery, ripped a hamstring, messed up knees and ankles and we're done. Now, you notice that it's been over a week since this happened and I just now am blogging it. His pride was a little bruised also. He's walking just fine, it's still tender to the touch and he's still taking ibuprofen daily. But he's recovering well. These pictures were taken Friday the 23rd.
7 comments:
SO been there. My Jason's very first basketball ball game with the guys ended with an almost completely severed (badly torn anyway) Achilles tendon that took several months to heal. I'm with ya. Hope he feels better soon!!
Poor Jason! I certainly hope he heals fast. That looks so miserable. What an awful thing to have to go through.
Poor guy. That is why Kyle doesn't do anything. They always play a football game on the morning of Thanksgiving. The first year we were here someone hit their head and couldn't remember where they were...it was pretty scary. Therefore, I put the kaboosh on church sports long ago...they are more dangerous than organized sports. Hope you guys are doing well.
Well, at least it was his left foot. It makes driving a little easier but I agree that Jason's sports days are probably over (unless you consider golf a sport).
BTW... Those are some fabulous calendars just behind Jason on your filing cabinet!
What...no phone call to the family athletic trainer on how to handle this injury? I could have saved a trip to the ER. Here's my advice, make yourself a horseshoe to go around both ankle bones to push that swelling out. Bummer though about the injury.
Looks pretty sore Jason. Hope it is feeling a little better now. I guess you will have to stick to golf from now on. Would be less likely to get hurt. Take care.
I love that Jen had to get her little bit of advice in. It is good advice. I have used it before. Also, I still remember the first time you came gimping in with and "air cast" on after you twisted your ackle really bad in the Fairburn's barn. Oh those were the days.
Hope you heal quickly. It takes longer at our age. Checkers is a much safer sport for you. I am still pushing my luck playing volleyball every Friday night. Oh well.
Post a Comment