Thursday, May 6, 2010

What is true

This will be a post unlike the others I usually do. I'm hoping that once I get it out of my system and into print that I'll be able to return to my "normal" posts. I have one due documenting Jaron's 8th birthday party held the 3rd of May but first things first.

At noon on Tuesday the 4th Jason had his "yearly" review. We were expecting that some of the problems at the firm would translate to pay cuts. Fiscal year end is actually June 30 so doing it April 30, or May 4th, is a definite signal that there's trouble ahead. We were right about the trouble but way off in our estimation of the personal damage we would feel. Jason was laid off.

In the last two days we have gone through just about every feeling there is to describe this situation. Bewildered, confused, hurt, overwhelmed, sad, and even a bit scared. There probably aren't enough words, or time, to document it accurately. Of course crisis brings crisis mode. Phone calls were made to various people and agencies, family was notified, children were told, tears were shed. I won't lie, it's been rough.

But it's now Thursday morning and we want to share what we've learned so far in the last 48 hours. Faith is the opposite of fear. You can't sustain both feelings at the same time. Doubt and worry are cousins to fear and they can't do anything to help you either. We are choosing to have faith. We have had a lot of conversations the last few days and I'd like to summarize our feelings at this point.

We know what is true. God lives and He loves us. He gave His Only Begotten son, Jesus Christ, as a sacrifice for sin. Jesus willingly suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane to come to know ALL the pains mankind could ever experience. He did this so that he could sustain us in our trials. He has known the disappointment of being laid off work. He has known the heartache in telling seven wonderful kids that some things are changing. He laid down his life for our sins. We can live with Him again someday because of the gift of His Atonement and Resurrection. But beyond being forgiven of our sins the effects of the Atonement allow us to be comforted in times of trial.

And we have felt that comfort in this time of trial. We know we are going to be okay. We don't have a clue how this will turn out. We don't know where we are going or when there will be employment again. We don't know how to answer the majority of the questions the children ask. But we do know that God loves us. We know that He will never abandon us. We have felt His peace and we have faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ, and in His promises when He says, "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." Isaiah 41:10

Thank you for your prayers and kind words during this time of trial. Wonderful friends and family are one of God's many blessings for which we are so grateful.

Lanae and Jason and kids

5 comments:

Cherisa said...

So brave! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. Not the bad news, of course, but certainly the faith, knowledge, and comfort in the gospel. We're praying for you guys too.
Love,
Heather

The Chamberlain Family said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this Lanae. We will be praying for you.

Jamie said...

Wow. Bad news, but great perspective. We're praying for you and your family! Love you guys!

The Metge Family said...

Beautifully said, Lanae. Bless you for your faith!