Monday, August 13, 2012

Staycation day 1

If you read our blog with any frequency you will know that we had a great spring break vacation to DisneyLand. It was a really good decision for our family to go but it left the summertime vacationing fund a little low. So we opted for a staycation this summer. Instead of traveling far away from Reno we decided to use the gas funds for activities in the area.

Our staycation started Monday morning the 6th, our 18th anniversary. (As a side note, two of Jason's co-workers gave us a gift of movie tickets to mark the date. It was very appreciated and thoughtful of them. Looking forward to using them soon.) We got up and cleaned the house top to bottom. The kids worked together really well and we were done by 9. Then it was time to pack the car for CAMPING!

We took the kids to a Donner Memorial State Park in California, about an hour from our home. We arrived right at check-in time at two. We quickly set up camp and then went to explore the campground and museum located on site. It gives a history of the Donner Pass area and the ill-fated Donner Party. After looking through the museum and at a few monuments we took a nice, long, easy hike around the area and enjoyed the beauty of the Sierras.

Rachel and I both had cameras so there will be some pictures from her and me.

Jumping shots courtesy of Rachel.

Headed off to the museum and monument.

At the museum and monument.
Skipping rocks at Miller's pond.

Taking a hike beyond the pond.

Around our campsite. We roasted hotdogs for dinner and had smores and roasted marshmallows for dessert. So even if we only spent one night out in the woods it counts as camping because we had the right food. =)


1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

That looks like a blast! I have to say that when you lived in Iowa I saw Jason each time I looked at your kids. As they have grown I see you everywhere I look! What a great crew!