Friday, January 20, 2012

FIRE!!

On Tuesday the 17th I wished Jason a Happy 1st Anniversary. He started work for IGT on January 17, 2011. On the 19th we celebrated one year in our home here in Reno. Thursday started out like any other weekday. We had some massive amounts of wind coming out of the Sierra but that isn't the first time and won't be the last.

Jake (the new VW bug) was in the shop for a little problem to be fixed so I was taking Jason back to work after dropping Caleb at school. I returned home at 1:15 and noticed a plume of smoke coming over the mountain south of us. I called the Sierra Fire protection number to find out where the fire was and how serious it was. I was told it was over the 395 freeway south of here and not to worry. Keep the radio and tv on for more info and to call if I had any other concerns.

As the afternoon wore on the fire grew out of control. The wind was steady at about 40-50 mph with gusts up to 80 mph. Our area was full of smoke and ash. My throat was raw by 3. I kept tabs on the news waiting for an evacuation notice. All of the children arrived home from school by 4. Jason got a ride from a co-worker to the Lithia place and picked up Jake. He came home a little before 4.

We packed a change of clothes for each person and made sure that our fireproof safe was locked tight and in a safe spot, easy to find if necessary. We gathered the blankets each child received last Christmas, scriptures, and a very FEW prized possessions.

Our new neighbors had invited us over to make cookies after school and to keep the kids distracted we let them go over and do that as we waited for word. They had also packed and were ready to leave at a moment's notice. At 5:10 the police came knocking, we were to evacuate. Nothing had yet been announced on the t.v. or the radio.

We returned home and loaded the car and boxed up the cat and left our home. As we turned down the street to leave we were met with the sight of the entire hill behind the high school ablaze! We had seen smoke all afternoon but to see flames was a little shocking. Don't think I'm stupid, we knew it was coming, we just had no idea when. I had supposed the evacuation notice would be here before the flames were - wrong!

We called our families to let them know we were safe but it wasn't until after we were on the road to a hotel that I thought to call our homeowner. I told her to prepare for the complete loss of her house. I wasn't exaggerating but truly felt that we would not see our neighborhood intact again. The winds were ferocious and containing a blaze in those circumstances is near impossible.

We went to the PepperMill Hotel and Casino. They offered rooms for evacuees for $29/night. They had two adjoining/connecting rooms with two queens each. We ordered a movie for the kids to watch and then Jason and I went to buy some dinner. We came back, ate dinner, finished the movie, and went to bed.

We got up this morning and watched the news. It appeared that somehow they saved our neighborhood, not one house was lost. School was cancelled for Rachel but none of the other kids. We showered and got ready for our day. We dropped Nathan at school, late, and then Jason at work, late, and the rest of us returned home to eat and prepare for school. I took Anna, Jaron and Darik to class, late, about 9:45 and I'm trying to get laundry done while blogging.

There are SO many more details in this journey that took place but I'll spare you them. This was the highlighted version, the Cliff Notes, if you will. But we have learned a lot, as usual, as with any trial. It becomes quite clear as you stand in your home and try to figure out what to save just what you value the most. It got to the point that each child had clothes for the next day, their beloved blankets, their scriptures and a stuffed animal. We had our clothes, our scriptures, the laptop and the cat. The most important documents are locked in the fireproof/waterproof safe. We took nothing else. You can't take it all and it just upsets the kids to watch you running around grabbing things, so we didn't.

As we passed the flames racing down the mountain towards our home the kids started to cry. Jason was driving Jake to IGT where we left him parked overnight so I tried to come up with something to distract the kids from the fire. I finally found enough gumption, and voice, to start singing.

"When upon life's billows you are tempest-tossed, When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost, Count your many blessing; name them one by one, And it will surprise you what the Lord has done. Count your blessings; Name them one by one. Count your blessing; See what God hath done. Count your blessings; Name them one by one. Count your many blessings; See what God hath done. Are you ever burdened with a load of care? Does your cross seem heavy you are called to bear? Count you many blessings; every doubt will fly, And you will be singing as the days go by."

We were singing! We had each other, our safety, a few important things and the knowledge that God loves each of us and was watching over us. Even if we had returned to ashes I KNOW that we were being cared for, we could feel it. We have so much to be grateful for, our possessions aside.

Naming your blessings isn't hard as they sit in the car with you, or follow behind in the other vehicle. Family and friends to call are a blessing. Insurance is a blessing. Fiscal means to meet a challenge like this are a blessing. The gospel and the eternal perspective it gives are a blessing.

High school parking lot, 5:30pm, flames to the left of the lamppost on hill behind the school.

Camera had a hard time with the amount of smoke and the fact that I was driving while this was taken.

At stoplight at the bottom of the hill.

On the freeway.

Dinner at the hotel.

From the t.v. in the hotel. these are all shots of our neighborhood/hillside.

Behind the high school, Rae's softball field.

Close up of the building from the first shot.

Watching our movie.

This morning.

3 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Tears of joy that I have you and your family in my life. You are courageous and amazing!

Kelly said...

Scary, but what a miracle.

kimkern said...

Thanks for the words of that song, and the reminder of what really matters in life! Glad all ended up well for you guys.