Saturday, October 29, 2011

Nevada Day 2011

The great state of Nevada celebrates its birth with a day off from school. Friday the 28th was that day this year. It also happens to be Jason's birthday. We had plans for the weekend but those were changed by things outside our control so it was time to punt and head for "plan B".

Thursday evening was spent at home, eating pizza and hanging out. Rachel's last football game was that night and Anna and I went to watch. Galena lost, again, but we enjoyed the band playing at half-time.

Friday morning we all slept in a little. Jason went to work and the kids and I straightened up the yard and house. Then we headed off to the new children's museum downtown. This place opened up mid-September and I wasn't sure when I'd get down there or if the kids would enjoy it. I was very pleasantly surprised. They ALL had a great time! With the ages our kids span I was hesitant to take them all down there but even Rachel found things to enjoy, beyond being a buddy to someone little.

This is in the center of the museum. The six youngest had a great time climbing in it.

The awesome water table.

The cool nocturnal area.

Glass wall with magnifier bubbles.

Nevada state history area.

The build it area.


"That lady, who watches over all."


We stayed at the museum from 10:30 to 12. Then we went home to meet dad for lunch. Rachel went to babysit for a little while and then I ran Jason back to work. When I got home we prepped the car for all the things we would need for the rest of the evening. Snacks and blankets were packed for the night. Rachel got home at 3 and we returned to the museum where we played until 4:45. Then we picked Jason up from work.

Second round of photos.
From October 2011


Dinner was at Red Robin, a family favorite, usually reserved for birthday's such as this one. The staff even sang to Jason, calling him old. We had a great meal and even had mud pie afterwards. Jason opened his cards and present. The kids and I got him a new lid for the Bosch mixer, he was very pleased, seeing as our old one was cracked and fairly worthless.

After dinner we headed across town to the drive in theater. We arrived a little early and there were very few cars at our screen so the kids played line tag and telephone in the parking lot. The movie started at 7:30 and we settled in for the showing of Real Steel. It was a cute movie, though predictable. Not much thought required but everyone that was awake when it finished seemed to enjoy themselves. Then it was home to bed by 10:30.

Our fearless "old" leader.

Playing telephone. The last person in line on the right would move down to the beginning after repeating the last sentence. Sarah's pants were FILTHY when we got home. Thank goodness for Oxiclean!

Cub was happy staying in the van.


It was a really good day, even if it was "plan B".

No comments: