Monday, October 13, 2008

Iowa

Jason had a IIAPLA conference in Des Moines this past weekend and Sarah and I traveled with him to visit old friends. We left here early Thursday morning and spent most of the day traveling. All day Friday and all morning Saturday Jason had classes. Sarah and I hung out at my friend Stephanie's. Friday night I went to dinner with a group of friends that I went to dinner monthly with when I lived there. It was good to see them all and catch up with them.

Stephanie and Steven moved to Iowa from Virginia the same time as we moved there, summer of '05. We hit it off from the start and the biggest regret was that they would be moving away from Iowa the summer of '09 when Steven graduates DMU Medical School. Well our plans to stay in Iowa a long time didn't quite pan out and Stephanie says I abandoned her a little prematurely. But graduation's in sight and they are looking forward to life with daddy working and not studying. It was good to see her and her kids. Steven was in Florida for a medical rotation. He's in the Navy so they'll likely be on some seaboard.

We stopped by our neighbor's, the Bogaards, Saturday afternoon when Jason got done with class. It was good to see Eileen, Emily and Sarah, Dennis was away hunting. We hung out for a little while and got caught up. It was so good to see them. The girls are growing up to become lovely young ladies.

Then we stopped by Kohl's. There we found Cindy, the crossing guard who became such good friends with Anna while she was in half-day kindergarten, our first year there. She is doing well and we took her picture to bring back to Anna.

Our next stop was lunch at the Machine Shed. Great place to eat if ever you get the chance. Good food, good memories.

Then we headed out to Granger to see our friend Pam. Pam started out as our real estate agent and helped us buy our home. But she loves kids and our kids love her so she quickly moved out of the professional realm of our lives and into the personal. She babysat our kids a couple of times. We got to introduce her to our newest family member and catch up on her life.

Sunday we went to church. How wonderful to see so many friends! It was great to see our old ward "family". After church we spent the afternoon with Ann, Kurt and Adam VanThomme. Kurt and Jason worked together at McKee, Voorhees and Sease the summer of '04 and then started together summer of '05. Ann and I quickly became friends and she invited me to her Ladies Night Out which was a monthly ritual.

We tried to get to bed early Sunday night, about 8. We got up at 4am to catch a 6:19am flight. We arrived home 11am PDT. We had an uneventful flight. But with the time change I have effectively been up since 2 am and I'm exhausted.

We had a great trip and are so grateful to have seen so many of our friends. Thanks to those who let us drop in on them.


2 comments:

Heather B said...

Looks like you three had a fabulous time! It's always fun to get away. Welcome home, you were missed on Sunday.

Cherisa said...

Seeing old friends is always nice but hard, too. I liked knowing you were only one time zone awy (not that you had time to call your sister) but I miss the days when I only had to wait until 9am my time to call.

I'm glad the whole traveling was uneventful! :)