Sunday, January 3, 2010

A story from last month

I didn't have time to blog this story last month and there are no pictures but it was cute enough to warrant my time. Nathan is a very helpful child. Lately he has been trying very hard, and succeeding, at being especially helpful to me. One day I asked him to vacuum the living room and he cheerfully agreed. I mentioned, while heading off to do many other things, "Please make sure to vacuum the hearth."

He asked me, "What's the hearth?" I said, "The part by the fireplace." I left to switch the laundry, take out the trash, change a diaper and clean a bathroom. When I got back he said he was done but that the bag had become way too full after vacuuming the room and he had replaced it. I inspected the living room and found that the carpet was clean but that the hearth was still littered with the stuff that falls off the wood. I called Nathan in and asked for some clarification on the failure to follow directions and the strange observation of a full vacuum bag.

He opened the fireplace to show me a completely bare hole and said, "Well I cleaned out the hearth, like you asked." I couldn't believe it! I didn't know he would think I wanted him to clean out the fireplace. I was so grateful the ashes were cold but I wasn't too happy about using my good vacuum, we usually use the shop vac, for this job. I then showed him what the hearth is and then vacuumed it myself, with a new bag.

We both learned a bit in the process. Me, be more specific when giving a direction and definition. Nathan, don't use mom's vacuum to clean out the fire place. But it's all good, I'm just grateful for the help.

2 comments:

The Chamberlain Family said...

Oh, What a good boy he is!

Cherisa said...

Well, that ought to teach you. I hope your good vacuum wasn't too worse off for the wear. At least you can tell people how well it cleans up soot! :)