Friday, August 29, 2008

Lake Coeur d'Alene








So my friend Heather has seen some of my earlier posts of going to the lake with my friend Jenn and she said, "Well, if you can do it with 12 kids, we can do it with 14." So to celebrate the end of summer vacation we planned a trip to the closer Lake Coeur d'Alene. There was no carpooling this time just a caravan of two 2004 Chevy Express 12 passenger vans headed down the highway. (Of course theirs is much cooler in a beautiful midnight blue, but I'm not jealous.) We hit the playground first and then had a picnic. Neglected to take pictures for those two activities. Then it was off to the beach. Heather has a neat cabana, tent with no bottom, you put a blanket on the ground and no sand gets trapped inside when it's time to load up, to keep us cool with the two babies. Her youngest was born on Jaron's birthday and is almost 4 months old. The kids played in the water and dug in the sand, sounds like a familiar description of time spent at the lake.







Before we left we stopped by the fountain that is there at the park and let the kids play in it a bit to rinse off some of the sand. We were exhausted when we got home but had a great time with our friends. The only noteworthy highlight of the day is this little warning to other mothers of toddlers. Excursions to the beach with a child who is potty training (see previous post) makes for a very exciting time. Lots of running to a public restroom. What was I thinking leaving his chair at home?! I thought, silly me, that being outdoors with friends he'd be too distracted to tell me when he needed to go and that the diapers would be just fine. WRONG! He proved exactly why we're doing this in the first place, he WANTS to! But the best part was when he was walking towards me, away from the fountain, holding a dirty swim diaper, a dirty butt and not enough evidence of the job accomplished. A little searching found a neat little pile, not 5 feet from innocent bystanders! I cleaned him up, put him a diaper, dressed him, disposed of the swim diaper AND the other mess, and announced to the other children we were leaving, NOW. Did it all while only turning pink, not totally red, with embarassment and without yelling at the other kids. Yeah, me!! We had a great time and can't wait for next summer.



5 comments:

Heather B said...

I laughed just as hard reading about the little poopy incident as I did seeing it for real! Sorry, but that was definitely the highlight :) And hats off, by the way, for keeping so cool about it. I think I would have been way more frazzled. We had a great time with you guys! My kids are already asking "Mom, can we invite the Lindh's over before school starts?" Let me know if you're up for it in the next week. This time, OUR house :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like way too much fun! Congrats on keeping cool with the poop incident. Leaving the scene as soon as possible was a smooth move.

Jen said...

I must say...you're a brave lady. Taking all those kids out while potty training. I only have the one and I didn't want to leave the house for weeks when Kaylee was first potty training. Good work! I have so much to learn. :) Other than that one little detail, it looked like the day was a lot of fun. What a beautiful park.

Selina said...

Ahh the wonderful sunny days of summer. Too bad they are over. We wish there had been more opportunity to enjoy the sunshine this summer. I hope your kids had a great time going back to school. I also hope you enjoyed some peace and quiet as the kids went back to school.

EvieMae said...

Too funny Lanae! A day like that would've sent me right over the edge. Kudos to you!